Thursday, July 21, 2011

What's Going Down

Ahhh. Back at the keyboard. Feels good!

As many of you probably know I was recently awarded the "Best Neighborhood Blog" prize at the inaugural Houston Web Awards from the Houston Press. What an exciting honor! I was back East with the family when I got the announcement and wasn't able to make the party. Bummer. I love a good party. Anyway, many thanks to all of you who read my ramblings here, chat with me on Facebook and tweet around on Twitter.

There are times when people around the Heights will ask me "Oh, so did you hear about this?" and my answer is often "Not yet. Tell me about it." See, I am not really here to break stories. I am here to follow up on how the story fits in our lives in the Heights. It would be way to stressful to always have to be the first to know. There have been a couple times, though, where my desire to be well informed so I can be a good resource has put me in the front of the knowledge line. This was the case with Down House. I was lucky enough to be among the first in the area to know some details about the new eatery on Yale. To back track the how and why, read here and then here.

Well, I have had the pleasure of brunching at Down House since the doors opened and it's quite good. My meal wasn't without it's "just opened" flaws, but my family enjoyed it. Initially the restaurant was only open for breakfast and lunch, with drinks available in the evening. Well, as of this week, they have gone full on.

Down House is now open daily from 7 am to 2 am, serving coffee, breakfast, lunch, small plates, and a quality-focused bar program. As far as the expanded hours and full menu, Chris is excited about the future of Down House in the neighborhood. He says Down House is about wanting "to bring high-quality products to the Heights in a comfortable environment you can visit daily.”

The restaurant utilizes local farms and vendors who deliver “nothing but the best" Headed by Executive Chef Chandler Rothbard, the kitchen works with folks like Black Hill Ranch, Utility Research Garden, Sabra Ranch, Knopp Branch Farm and others "to create some amazing dishes."

Breakfast is available from 7am- 3 pm, Monday through Friday. Evenings bring the small plates menu created to pair with the house cocktails, craft draft beers, and wines. Wondering how Down House gets to have a full bar in the dry part of the Heights? The restaurant holds a private-club liquor license.

Photo: Down House

I think this is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. Be warned: how much you'll enjoy it may depend on your Hipster Tolerance Level. Personally, for good food and a good drink, I can deal. Hope to see you there!

1801 Yale St, 18th @ Yale.


3 comments:

  1. A huge congrats girl! I used to live across from Jimmies Ice House - I have been following your blog forever! I still do, even though we now live in Trinidad! You inspired me to start my own blog - you should check it out...lots of recipes since I now have all the time in the world to cook and lots of fun travel stuff!

    http://thehinzadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I have a question / spot for investigation: There was a closed down washateria on the corner of Rutland and 24th that is now being fixed up but I can't tell anything about what its going to be...Also right next to that in the blocks to its West there were a bunch of warehouses that have been leveled - its several full blocks. I assume its going to be a housing development but haven't been able to find out anything about who is doing the building / the type of development its going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's very good article and thanks share with us..... washateria

    ReplyDelete